US President Donald Trump has again flamed up the medical community over his weird suggestion that using disinfectant or a powerful light in some way, either through the sick, or however scientists could figure it out, as a solution for killing the coronavirus in people.
Trump, it appears listened to one of his officials saying sunlight and disinfectant were known to kill the infection. He jumped up with the idea and started discussing before the press on how the two could somehow be used in people already infected to kill the virus.
William Bryan, acting head of the US Department of Homeland Security’s Science and Technology Directorate, outlined the findings of US government research that indicated coronavirus appeared to weaken more quickly when exposed to sunlight and heat.
The study also showed bleach could kill the virus in saliva or respiratory fluids within five minutes and isopropyl alcohol could kill it even more quickly.
While noting the research should be treated with caution, Mr Trump suggested further research in that area.
“So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous – whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light,” the president said, turning to Dr Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response co-ordinator, “and I think you said that hasn’t been checked but you’re going to test it.
“And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside of the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting,” the president continued.
“And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? “So it’d be interesting to check that.” Pointing to his head, Mr Trump went on: “I’m not a doctor. But I’m, like, a person that has a good you-know-what.”
Medical professionals are alarmed over the president’s comments and warn that injecting oneself with disinfectant can be deadly.
John Balmes, a pulmonologist at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, warned that even breathing fumes from bleach could cause severe health problems.
He told Bloomberg News: “Inhaling chlorine bleach would be absolutely the worst thing for the lungs. The airway and lungs are not made to be exposed to even an aerosol of disinfectant.
“Not even a low dilution of bleach or isopropyl alcohol is safe. It’s a totally ridiculous concept.”