The government of Kenya has moved ahead to order the closure of all schools in the country this week and advised citizens to avoid over crowded social gatherings. The announcement was made yesterday by President Uhuru Kenyatta in Nairobi.
The president confirmed two more cases of the Coronavirus in the country, both part of the 27 people who had contact with the first patient in the country and had been traced by authorities and quarantined.
President Kenyatta said the two patients were also taken to the isolation centre at the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) for treatment.
“Medical teams are closely monitoring the patients and they are responding well to treatment,” he said.
“The government will ensure all patients are given full support so that they recover.”
In his directive, all day schools are closed as of today, all boarding schools have until Wednesday 18th March for all the students to be home while tertiary and institutions of higher learning have until Friday the 20th.
The president also suspended entry into Kenya by people from all countries affected by the Covid-19 disease for 30 days. This will take effect in the next 48 hours.
He said that only Kenyan citizens and foreigners with permits will be allowed into the country provided they quarantine. He also ordered the self-quarantine of all people who have entered Kenya over the last 14 days.
Aside from these measures, both government offices and other businesses to allow employees to work from home if possible. He also encouraged Kenyans to use more cashless transactions to avoid the risk of transmission through physical currency.