French President Emmanuel Macron has announced a second national lockdown until at least the end of November.
Mr Macron said that under the new measures, starting on Friday, people would only be allowed to leave home for essential work or medical reasons.
Non-essential businesses, such as restaurants and bars, will close, but schools and factories will remain open.
Covid daily deaths in France are at the highest level since April. On Tuesday, 33,000 new cases were confirmed.
Mr Macron said the country risked being “overwhelmed by a second wave that no doubt will be harder than the first”.
And as the country starts a new lockdown, France is also experiencing n increasing knife terror attacks. Just today, three people were killed in what officials term terror attacks.
According to official reports, a man shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ (Allah is great), killed 3 people and left several injured in a knife attack in or around a Church in France’s popular tourist Nice City.
Two of the deceased were allegedly beheaded, one of the victims was a woman who had tried to seek shelter at a nearby cafe’ but was found with multiple stab wounds.
The attack is the second in a month. Earlier in the month a teacher was again beheaded in the streets. The teacher had allegedly shared with his students cartoons that were offensive to the Muslims.
France president has supported freedom of speech and while condemning the attacks and refused to condemn the cartoons depicted in magazines, especially Hebdo magazine.
This has infuriated many Muslim Nations to lead a major boycott France products campaign. Muslims across the world have been protesting and condemning the publishers and the president for what they term ‘insults to the Prophet.’